Chance democratic

Chance democratic

Saturday, October 22, 2016

I ain't got no home: The Woody Guthrie centennial

Southern Illinoisan, August 21, 2012

This year marks the centennial of America's greatest folk songwriter and singer, Woody Guthrie. In his brief career, cut short by Huntington's disease, the amazingly prolific Guthrie wrote thousands of songs, a best-selling autobiography, and provided an incomparable influence on subsequent generations of singer-songwriters. Even 45 years after his death, Guthrie's spirit seems ubiquitous. Tributes from such musicians as Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Rosanne Cash, Ani DiFranco, Steve Earle and Guthrie's son, Arlo, attest to his lasting influence. It also was announced recently that Guthrie's unpublished novel, "House of Earth," will be published next year, edited by historian Douglas Brinkley and actor Johnny Depp.
Guthrie was born July 14, 1912, in Okemeh, Oklahoma. Leaving home during the Great Depression of the 1930s, he joined the exodus of Great Plains farm families forced off their land by the environmental disaster of the Dust Bowl and the economic policies of banks and other large businesses. He spent much of the 1930s and 1940s traveling, entertaining people in migrant camps and union meetings.
The Depression was an era in which artists were discovering, and trying to give voice to, "the people." From John Steinbeck's classic novel "The Grapes of Wrath" to Carl Sandburg's epic poem, "The People, Yes," the focus was on the dignity of ordinary Americans in the face of extraordinary challenges. But Guthrie was the real thing, Steinbeck's Tom Joad come to life, a grass-roots intellectual who articulated the world-view of dispossessed farm families, migrant laborers and workers struggling for dignity and a living wage.
Guthrie's genius lay in the way he spoke the language of the people he sang about, as an insider and without affectation. He mastered a wide range of musical styles, from cowboy and hillbilly songs to hymns and popular tunes, and used this vernacular material to give voice to the period's forgotten people. Often using well-known tunes, traditional or popular, he wrote songs based on his experiences or those of people like him, or taken from news stories or labor history. In trying to find the workers’ voice, Guthrie sometimes literally used their words. In his haunting "Dying Miner," based on the 1947 Centralia, Illinois, mine disaster, his lyrics are based on notes left by the victims.
The result was an authentic American radicalism, a populist disdain for the power of corporate interests and a celebration of hard-working people victimized by events beyond their control. In his tall-tale "Talking Hard Work," Guthrie begins "I was born working and worked my way up by hard work" and then goes on to relate his attempts to impress a woman. "I chopped and carried 314 armloads of stove wood/ 109 buckets of coal/ Carried a gallon of kerosene 18 miles over the mountains . . ./ All on account of cuz I wanted to show her I was a man and I liked to work."
Despite such an ethic, Guthrie's characters find themselves victimized by predatory economic forces. ”Rich man took my home and drove me from my door,” he says in “I Ain’t Got No Home.” In "The Jolly Banker," he sings, "When the bugs get your cotton, the times they are rotten . . ./ I'll come down and help you, I'll rake you and scalp you/ Singin' I'm a jolly banker, jolly banker am I." Or, in the final verse of his outlaw ballad, "Pretty Boy Floyd," Guthrie contrasts Floyd's criminality with the practices of bankers, "As through this world I've wandered, I've seen lots of funny men/ Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen."
Even in his most famous song, "This Land is Your Land," a celebration of the country's natural beauty, Guthrie pondered the impact of economic disparity on the land he loved. In the seldom-sung final verse, he wrote, "In the shadow of the steeple, I saw my people/ by the relief office, I seen my people/ As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking/ Is this land made for you and me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment